And by girls I don’t mean the wifey and the kiddo, my usual weekend dates. For a change, the past weekend was spent with girl friends, some of whom I haven’t seen in years — a funny thing since we live in the same city and basically go to the same coffee shops, supermarkets and payment centers.
Saturday, rainy as fuck, I was at Eastwood for the long overdue meetup with friends I met through the now defunct Multiply. Adelaide-based T___ was in town and wanted to hook up before she flies back home. Four of us made it, plus partners. Coffee at Starbucks to beat the cold and then lunch at Italianni’s. Jokes and stories galore — and the wildest first-person account I’ve heard about vibrators courtesy of M__. It was a whole afternoon of fun and warm camaraderie that we all hoped would be replicated soon.
Then the next day, Sunday, was my alma matter’s homecoming. There was a parade in the morning that I failed to join because of house chores and also the rain. Then a program in the afternoon at Ynares Center. Speeches and dance presentations by batches. Also a raffle. It was nice seeing my old class/batch-mates again. “Man, it’s been over 20 years” and all that. Program over, I joined our batch’s all-girl dance group to Calleza Bar and Grill for drinks. Stayed there longer than I had intended. Guess I got carried away by the vibe.
Indeed, fun weekend.
Playlist: Volbeat – Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil; Danzig – Danzig
Monday. Day after Christmas. There’s bad weather, I’m working despite today being a holiday, and wifey lost my newly bought bonnet. Things aren’t looking good and my mood is foul. I should’ve stayed in bed. The world is one big ball of shit to me today.
Anyway, the Christmas weekend:
- Read the graphic novel Joker
- Watched the film Snowden
- Watched Ep. 11 of Gotham Season 3, and Ep. 3 of Westworld
- Spent Christmas Day in Nueva Ecija
- Read first half of Spider-Man Noir
Pfft. I prefer post-Christmas blues. This is something else.
Playlist: Therapy? – High Anxiety; Green River – Dry as a Bone/Rehab Doll; Jawbox – For Your Own Special Sweetheart
Long time no blog (exactly a week, wow). I’ve been busy. The Christmas season can do that even to a semi-hermit like me. I’m at work now, and I just came from a four-day weekend, and that four days seem like a blur of lights, roads, and the cramped insides of PUVs. Friday midnight saw me and the wifey, who just came from their office party, in Makati having the most difficult time commuting. Despite the late hour, people were still on the streets like it was still rush hour. It was already past 2 a.m. when we got home. Slept, then up again by 6 a.m. for another appointment, and then home again by 11 p.m. It was madness.
Anyway, the long weekend:
- Wifey and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary (yey!)
- Watched the kiddo’s dance recital at her school
- Scored Transmetropolitan vols. 9 and 10 at marked down prices at Planet X Comic Shop in Glorietta 4, and Satellite Sam vol. 1 at Powerbooks in Glorietta 3
- Finished reading Book Six of Preacher (time now to score physical copies of this awesome graphic novel)
- Read Warren Ellis’ weird-ass City of Silence
- Four movies: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, The Forest, The End of the Tour, and Spectral
- Watched Ep. 8 of Gotham and the mid-season finale of The Walking Dead
- Checked out Ayala Triangle’s “Festival of Lights” with the girls
- Three-hour me-time at Makati CBD while waiting for the wifey to emerge from her office party. Hopped from one store to another, had dinner at Yoshinoya, and drank strong-ass coffee at Starbucks on Paseo de Roxas to keep me awake afterward
- Skipped a reunion with high school classmates in Libis
- Scored an office chair because why not?
- Pigged the fuck out
And then it’s Monday and I’m back at the office and the regular scheme of things.
Playlist: Nirvana – Bleach; Ben Folds Five – Whatever and Ever Amen
My outdoor me-time during the weekend was Sunday’s trip to the dentist. Finally, after more than a year, I finally found time to have my teeth cleaned. Weird experience, though. I found the procedure too short for something that was worth P500. The last time I had my teeth scrubbed, by a different dentist but for the same price, the procedure took relatively longer — give or take 30 minutes. Yesterday, I was off the dentist’s chair in about 10 minutes. I sit on the marble throne longer than that in the morning (that’s because I read while I shit, it’s my ritual, and so what?).
Anyway, I made a mental note to try a different dentist next time.
Other weekend highlights (that is, if one can call them highlights):
- Malling with the girls looking for a white cat costume the kiddo will use in a school program next month
- Late-night beer and red wine session with the wifey while watching Don’t Breathe
- Episodes 9, 10, 11 of Sons of Anarchy Season 1
- The movie War Dogs
See, not much is happening in my world except family.
Playlist: Metallica – Ride the Lightning; L7 – Bricks are Heavy
Highlight of my weekend was watching Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them at the cinema. It was my wife’s idea, as she’s a big Harry Potter/JK Rowling fan, and the movie’s a spin-off of the popular fantasy film franchise. The movie’s OK, even for a non-Harry Potter fan like myself. Just the right kind of visual treat for the family on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Indeed, magic over boredom…
Other stuff that went down over the weekend:
- General housecleaning
- Malling with the girls (scored another Suicide Squad T-shirt)
- Swedish massage and a Savory dinner with the girls
- Episode 5 of Sons of Anarchy Season 1
- Episodes 8, 9, 10 and 11 of Undeclared
- Started reading Preacher Book 5
Monday, I got slammed back to reality and 1-10 p.m. hell.
Playlist: Them –Sweet Hollow; Avulsed – Deathgeneration
My shift for the next eight days on account of a workmate whooping it up in Macau…
One thing I don’t like about this shift is I’ve to rush to catch the last southbound MRT train to reach Cubao on my way home. In order to do that I’ve to punch out at 10 on the dot. Of course, in my profession, punching out on the dot is a luxury. Except for a time or two, the nights in the past I did the 1-10 p.m. shift I had to take the bus to Cubao and hoped the scraggly guy next to me was not an armed freak looking for a quick buck.
(One time, however, I sat next to a lady with long shapely legs, and Rupert Holmes’ “Terminal” started playing in my head, and that was that.)
Meanwhile, the weekend:
- Accompanied the kiddo to her classmate’s birthday party
- Movies: It’s Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong, Irrational Man and Knocked Up
- Rock music docu: Oasis: Supersonic
- Read a couple of Daken: Dark Wolverine issues
- Coffee Project dinner with the girls
- Evening stroll with the girls (enjoyed Sunday’s full moon)
And now I start a week that looks like is gonna be a long weird one.
Playlist: Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds; Oasis – The Masterplan
Taken from the walkway connecting Farmer’s Plaza to Gateway Mall at the Araneta Center on Friday night, hours after it was lit up in a ceremony attended by beauty queens and, ugh, Vice Ganda. Standing there, soaking up the night, I wished I was drunk. Or at least tipsy. I really felt like celebrating something that night. Guess I was lonely. It happens.
It was a sober kind of weekend. Me and the girls didn’t even go out. We just stayed at home and enjoyed each other’s company. The highlights:
- Finished watching third season of Black Mirror
- Started watching Gotham Season 3
- Watched Ep. 6 of Undeclared (Adam Sandler as guest!)
- Finished reading Book 2 of 100 Bullets
- A Coen brothers movie: Burn After Reading
- Biked for 19.72 kms
- Dropped by D__’s place, some chitchat, first time with the sun up, and sans beer
- Watched the Pacquiao-Vargas bout on cable (boring fight, methinks. Bob Arum was the true winner)
So there. Another weekend over. I still haven’t seen Dr. Strange, and I kind of miss the company of friends.
Playlist: Nirvana – Incesticide; The Damned Things – Ironclast; Third Eye Blind – Third Eye Blind
… it’s like I stepped into a Black Mirror episode.
This was taken Saturday night, second day of my four-day staycation, at our subdivision’s Halloween party, where the kiddo, dressed as Snow White complete with poison apple and all, won a can of Playdoh for volunteering to be the magician’s apprentice during a trick involving milk and a magic straw. It was a good, fun night with the family that I wouldn’t trade for anything else.
Indeed, the last four days had been full of highlights, from picking up my daughter at school after her midday Halloween party last Friday, to yesterday’s horror movie marathon with the wifey. Just us chilling, enjoying each other’s company. This morning it rained out of season, and my heart was crushed knowing it was time to go back to work.
Anyway, the highlights in bullet form:
- Picking the kiddo from school and trying this newly opened coffee shop near our place called Coffee Project
- Window shopping at All Home with the kiddo then dropping by my mother’s place for some chitchat
- CDs from the mail: Savatage’s Edge of Thorns and Foo Fighters’ Foo Fighters
- Finished watching Luke Cage (hey, amazing OST, and it’s on Spotify!)
- Episodes 6 and 7 of Easy
- Episode 2 of Black Mirror‘s third season
- Episode 3 of Undeclared (via YouTube)
- Finished reading Elmore Leonard’s Maximum Bob, started on Raymond Chandler’s Lady in the Lake
- Trick or treats with the kiddo in our subdivision, and then a Halloween party afterward
- Biked for 27 kms
- Lunch and dinner at Coffee Project (they got tasty longganisa meal)
- Horror movies galore: Behemoth, Lights Out, The Other Side of the Door, The Last House on Cemetery Lane, The Boy
And Tuesday, November 1, a holiday, I’m back to the grind and missing my girls.
Playlist: Dee Snider – We are the Ones; Sully Erna – Hometown Life; Various Artists – Luke Cage OST
About to enjoy a four-day break from the drudgery starting tomorrow, Friday, thanks to All Souls Day. I’m super stoked, as long weekends aren’t really an automatic thing in my profession, where the phrase “non-working holiday” is an abstract concept, a strange-sounding perk of the “ordinary folks.” Sure we can enjoy holidays from time to time, but it must have the approval of the higher-ups, like my long break here.
Halloween parties and horror movies, is how I see the next four days to be. Also naps and a lot of reading, if I could follow the schedule I’d set in my head. If the weather’s fine I’d probably add some kms on the bike, do some cardio, get all sweaty and all. I’ll also devote some time for guitar practice. When I punched in for work on Tuesday I should’ve finished a book or a TV series or both, seen at least five movies, mastered playing “Butterfly” by Weezer, and accomplished many tasks I’ve been wanting to do on ordinary days but couldn’t. Way I see, four days aren’t enough for all of them…
Playlist: Supersuckers – Holdin’ the Bag; Asphyx – Incoming Death; Papa Roach – Lovehatetragedy; Pretenders – Alone
So apparently there is this old short-lived Judd Apatow sitcom called Undeclared. It came out in 2001-2002, and starred Jay Baruchel and Seth Rogen, among others. I can’t remember what I was Googling on Saturday night, but I somehow ended up on the show’s page, and I instantly got curious. Luckily, there are available episodes on YouTube. I checked the pilot and thought it was cool. Will check out the rest.
Other stuff that went down over the weekend
- Hung around wifey’s office in Makati (she was doing OT)
- Ministop lunch with the kiddo in Makati (while wifey’s doing OT)
- Evening stroll at Greenbelt (scored Metallica’s black album from Astrovision)
- Watched Ep. 1 of Black Mirror Season 3
- Eps. 9 and 10 of Luke Cage
- Watched Sausage Party with the wifey (again, starring Seth Rogen)
- Swedish massage
And then it’s Monday again, and I feel like I should’ve taken more naps.
Playlist: Nirvana – Nevermind; The Pixies – Head Carrier